Lyric Hearing aid (part two)…so how much is it?

I received an email today in response to my post on the Lyric hearing aid. My plan is to go through the consultation process, and share my experience. At this time, there are no providers in the Southeastern Louisana area, so I’ll have to wait.

But, I did get further info on the cost. As I said in the first post, Lyric is sold on a subscription basis. You are able to choose a one, two or three year subscription. Although the price is set at the providers’ office, you can expect to pay $1650-$2000 per year(per ear). The average selling price, is said to be $1650-$1700. The subscription, covers the cost of several Lyric hearing aids…as the device is replaced every few months.

I would really love to hear from someone who is a Lyric hearing aid user, particularly someone with severe hearing loss. If you know someone willing to share their experience please have them contact me.

That’s all for now, but I look forward to sharing more info as it becomes available.

25 Responses to Lyric Hearing aid (part two)…so how much is it?

1. Anonymous says:

I have a severe to profound hearing loss, and I don’t qualify for the Lyric aid. It’s only for those with moderate to severe hearing loss and better. I’m “too deaf” for Lyric. Hope that helps.

2. Anonymous says:

This is the same Anonymous #1 – I forgot to add – I don’t qualify for a cochlear implant, either. I “hear too good” for cochlear implant. but I “hear too bad” for Lyric. About the only thing that works for me are the most powerful digital hearing aids on the market – Widex Senseo P38. But it’s borderline…

3. What an odd middle ground you are in anonymous – too bad for Lyric to bad for cochlear. confusing like a number of things in the world of hearing aids. Diva, this is a great blog and I am very happy to have found it. I will introduce it to the readers of my blog!

4. Anonymous says:

lyric licks the browneye

5. So far, I am very pleased with the Lyric aids. They are completely invisible to anyone looking at your ear. The sound of my own voice is far superior to the CICs that I currently own. I can place my hands over my ears and get no feedback at all. They promise that sweating and getting wet are no problem, as the aids form a tight seal around the ear canal, allowing no moisture behind the device. If you swim, you’re not supposed to really submerge your head too much. For me, that’s not really a problem. I don’t swim all that much, and if I do, it doesn’t bother me to not put my head under the water for extended periods of time.
    hearing aids

6. Michelle says:

Lyric is different from traditional hearing aids because it is placed deep in the ear canal, millimeters from the ear drum, and stays there for months at a time. The outer ear naturally directs sound towards the Lyric hearing device, where sound is then amplified close to your ear drum. Deep canal placement helps to improve directionality and localization (ability to determine where sounds are coming from), reduce feedback and occlusion (plugged feeling), minimize background noise, and helps to improve your ability to hear high frequency sounds
    hearing test

7. I have a hole in my eardrum and leak fluid into my ear so I have to keep the canal dry with a quetip every day. what will happen with a Lyric I wonder

• Racklefratz says:

I had tympanoplasty surgery to repair a hole in my eardrum. You should have yours closed – the hole allows foreign matter into the middle ear which can lead to infection. Small perforations can sometimes heal on their own, but larger ones may not. On your question, since the Lyric uses same method as conventional hearing aids to transmit sound to the eardrum, my guess would be that a damaged eardrum would limit its effectiveness.

8. Jamie says:

My ear canals are too small for the Lyric!

9. This economy has left me very low in funding. I have even lost my health insurance. Is there any type of payment plan out there. I cant be the only person so affected by this terrible economy!
    Any help on this would be appreciated!

• LaTonya says:

Mark I’m not really sure. A payment plan (with very small installments) is what I would need in order to try out Lyric as well. On their website, there should be contact info. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to ask them. I hope it works out for you. Thanks for commenting.

• JOYCE says:

Mark,
      Try your local Lion’s Club, they have hearing aids for a very small cost, but they are the old kind. They also help with hearing test and fittings, etc… worth checking it out

• Justin says:

I am a Lyric Provider and we offer payment plans that break it down over the subscription period into payments.

10. Al Tison says:

I am in second day of free 30 day trial. Just finished 30 day trial with behind the ear with microphone in ear. Slept with them in on quite mode, a little strange but something I’m sure I can get used to. Sound quality is good,but I can hear myself chew and is a little distracting. Being able to shower, wear ear muffs, not taking them out at night and not having to mess with anything to do with batteries are all big on the plus side. Down side is $300 a month. There really doesn’t seem to be any real compition as to pricing, you also will not need to insure them or worry about losing one and if technology improves you can get immediate up grades.

• LaTonya says:

Wow, thanks for your feedback. I’m glad you’re enjoying them. The price tag is a bit much for me, but maybe in the future I’ll try Lyric.

11. debbie dukes says:

i would love to be able to hear the birds sing. or the voices of my grandchildren without them yelling at me to hear them. really just to be able to hear period. i am servere to profound deaf and can’t afford any aid’s and have no ins. i have tried to get help with aid’s and have no luck. so i was just checking out this type of aid to see what it would be like to be able to hear all of the time. GOD Bless lost in the south.

• LaTonya says:

Debbie, I understand that frustration very well. Your state should have a Rehabilitation Services that may be able to help. I’ve found my local office to be helpful with some things…not so much with other things. Thanks for your comment.

12. Vickie Herring says:

I understand the price is 1700 per ear.
    So what I don’t understand is that you have to replaced the earing aid every 4 months.
    And the man from Louisiana why don’t you hop on a plane and go to Waco Tx. That’s were my first appointment going to be Thursday feb.28th. 254-732-9741 or call Angel 866-964-8450 she is with Lyric….I just hope I can afford the price on the Lyric suppose to get a discount of 200.00!!

• LaTonya says:

At this time, I don’t think Lyric is for me. I hope it works out for you though. Thanks for your comment!

13. George says:

I wonder if this device is covered under Atna Health Insurance.
    Proably not would be my guess.

14. Jeff says:

I’ve fit numerous lyric devices, and thought I would leave my two cents on the product.

Pros:
    -Incredibly discrete
    -Absolutely zero hassle (changing batteries, cleaning, etc)
    -Comfort: most the time they can’t even be felt

Cons:
    -One of the most expensive ways to treat hearing loss
    -Lack of programming flexibility
    -Doesn’t work for all ears or hearing losses

Having said all that, for some people the Lyric is a great option, and far trumps having any traditional hearing aid, but you’ve got to have the right ear structure, the right hearing loss, and the right budget! Hope this helps.

15. Doug Connolly says:

I had the Lyric’s installed for the 30 day try out in December of 2012. I have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. I used a pair of ReSound Pulse for over five years before trying the Lyrics. The Pulse is a digital behind the ear devise that was “top of the line” when I purchased them; I think they were about $2,500 apiece. They worked well but I soon tired of changing batteries, having feedback, and having them tweaked a couple of times a year. The tiny tube was easily blocked with wax or something that caused them to be ineffective.

I started with the original (larger) Lyric and the hearing improvement excellent. I could actually hear again. Once you get the Lyric adjusted for your ear the insertion is fast and painless. I was told that they would be uncomfortable until your body became adjusted to having a foreign object inserted in your ear canal. Mine were uncomfortable to sore for two to three weeks but I was determined to make them work because I liked them so much. By the end of the third week I could still feel them but they were not uncomfortable. Now I don’t notice that I even have them in. I forked over $3,300 for the year subscription in January of 2013. When the battery dies or they quit working for other reasons I take them out with the tool that is supplied, text my audiologist that I need to come in for replacements, and go in and have new ones inserted which takes about five minutes. After I take them out I usually go three or four days before getting the new ones to let my ears “air out” and get a really good cleaning in the shower. The original Lyrics went about twelve weeks before going dead. In February of 2013 I got the “new” Lyric 2 inserted. They are much smaller and I really don’t know I have them in. The battery, because it is smaller, only lasts about six to eight weeks which could be a problem for some if your audiologist is not handy; mine is. I can hear again, I can hear my grandkids, I can hub my wife (or anybody else) without the whistling feedback, and they are invisible. I understand that not everyone can use them but I can’t think of a single reason (except the price) that a person would not try them for free for thirty days.

16. Eric says:

I am 65 years of age and have a brother who just turned 67. Our younger sister has had hearing problems most of her life. Hearing loss seems to run in the family.

Both my brother and I are fed up with the whole hearing aid industry. How is it that I can use a $500 smartphone to do incredible things like take stunning pictures and videos, call across the world, connect to the Internet, etc., etc., etc., but a hearing aid like Lyric costs so darn much money?

Doctors are warning that there will be an epidemic of hearing loss and hearing problems with the younger generation, who stick earbuds deep into their ear canal while listening to music. The hearing aid industry sees noting but dollar signs in the future and will continue to rip off the public with their costly devices. This is a shame.

17. Rudy Mann says:

My mother has used Lyric for a year and is not happy at all. One ear always gives her trouble and just this week she had two replaced as per agreement, but when she got home — she is age 90 — she could hear almost nothing. Called the specialist today but nothing happened in terms of information other than asking if she had a “wand” to turn them on: a bloody wand? No, of course not. Perhaps they should have supplied a witch stick. Perhaps tomorrow will get some answers, but based in experience so far, hopefully somebody else has something better with better service and guarantees.